The Grind

Whoops! Looks like I have a week to catch up on here.

Tuesday and Wednesday did not have formal work outs but my eats were on track. On Wednesday, hubs and I took a nice walk around the neighborhood for half an hour or so after dinner. It was nice to get out and get moving together. Thursday was, sadly, another day without the gym. Instead, I met a friend I haven’t seen in six months or so for dinner. I was super early and she got stuck in traffic, so I took advantage of the large mall I was at and walked laps around all four levels and the outside pavillion area. I would estimate that I walked for 35-40 minutes. So happy I took the advantage to move my body as opposed to sitting on a bench somewhere.

Friday I worked from home and decided to try and get in an outside run before it got too hot. (Side note: DC has been WAY TOO HOT for me this year. We’re breaking all kinds of temperature records and while I enjoy the summer, I don’t like triple digit heat.) I set off around 8:30 and it turns out that was probably still too late. When I left the apartment, it was about 83 degrees outside. I used my Garmin 305 for the first time and LOVED IT! I wish my run had been as awesome as the Garmin.

Instead, I struggled. Thanks to the Garmin, I knew I paced really well my first mile; I averaged under a ten minute mile which is RIDICULOUS for me. Heh, that came back to haunt me. While I intended to run three miles, my body quickly let me know that was not going to happen. I started to slow and I was drenched in sweat. No matter how much I guzzled from my water bottle, I was no match for the heat. I’m sure this gets easier, but this is probably ten degrees warmer than my “hottest” outside run. I was woefully unprepared. During my last half mile, I’m sure there were times where I didn’t even look like I was running. Regardless, I refused to stop until I hit two miles. My pace was glacial and I was so disappointed at having to stop. Never have I felt so wretched after a run. During my walk back to the apartment I’m sure I was weaving all over the sidewalk. At first, I was afraid I was either going to puke or pass out. I made it back alive and have never been so happy to feel a/c. My total distance was 3.65 miles in 56 minutes. Slightly shameful, but I seriously couldn’t move fast at all after I stopped running.

Lessons learned? HYDRATE before, during, and after. Also, when running in the crazy heat, make sure to pace yourself no matter how proud you are of  your current speed. In my mind, longer and slower is better than burning out fast like that I did on Friday.

Saturday I intended to go for a run with hubs around 8pm once things calmed down. My body, again, had other ideas and was super sore. Hubs was also feeling under the weather. I knew I would regret it if I didn’t get out and move around. So instead of a run, we took a jaunt out to Whole Foods to pick up dinner. We added in some extra loops and got our distance to 1.88 miles in 20 minutes (including the minute or two we spent waiting for walk signs and turning cars). After our walk in the heat, all I wanted was fruit and veg (hello dehydrated!) so I assembled a delicious salad and grabbed a berry smoothie. So tasty!

Today, Sunday, we got up super early (if it’s before 7:30 on a weekend day, that’s early for me) and headed to an awesome DC spot: Eastern Market. We met up with a few friends and walked around trying produce samples and smelling berries. The boys tired out quickly so my friend Kel and I have decided to return again without the boys. We’re not afraid to sweat it out for some delicious produce, fresh meat & cheese, and adorable flea market delights. We then went to one of my favorite restaurants, Matchbox, for brunch. While everyone else around the table ordered Bloody Mary Burgers (which feature a fried egg), I opted for their delish veggie frittatta (goat cheese, cremini mushrooms, baby spinach, peppers, and more) with a side of fruit (they toss it in a light yogurt and sprinkle cinnamon on top – yum)!

Sadly, I think some part of the frittatta did not agree with my body. I came home, laid on the couch and bemoaned my unsettled tummy for about four hours. I rallied enough to grocery shop – that’s horrible with an upset tummy. Had a little turkey sandwich and some goldfish for dinner (yay comfort food!) but my tummy said no, no, no when I thought about lacing up my sneakers for a run. 😦

So disappointed on the running front this weekend. Tomorrow is another day though. I’ll be fitting in a workout before I pick up hubs from class tomorrow evening. Hopefully my tummy has settled itself.

Aside from the Farmer’s Market this morning, there were two other highlights to the weekend. Hubs and I finally used up the rest of our Bed, Bath and Beyond giftcards from the wedding. We came home with two new non-stick frying pans (our old one was starting to chip, bad news), a springform pan, more hangers, some rubber spatulas, and a new dish scrubber among other things. The other highlight was finishing an AMAZING book: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson. I wish this man were still alive to continue the series. I loved all three books and would recommend them to anyone. There’s some graphic violence in all of them, but the writing is absolutely astounding. I’ve started My Name is Memory by Ann Brasheres. It seems similar to Time Traveler’s Wife (but crossing multiple time periods). I normally enjoy her writing, so hopefully this book follows suit.

Time to fix my food for work tomorrow. I must bid you goodnight. Sweet dreams bloggies!

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s